About François Héon
François completed his Master’s degree in industrial/organisational psychology at the University of Waterloo in Ontario and then pursued his PhD coursework in organisational behavior at Case Western Reserve University’s Weatherhead School of Management in Cleveland.
He then worked on institutional change projects in Romania (1991) and Burundi (1994-1996), and began an ongoing collaboration with Organisational Behaviour Development in Belgium conducting international leadership programs.
Back in Canada in 1996, François took on new challenges with the development and management of alternative support services for psychatric patients in the community. It is in this context that he discovered his talent and passion for individual accompaniment and pursued clinical training at McGill’s Allen Memorial Institute.
Yearning to return to the field of consulting with his management and clinical experience, he then took the leadership of Adecco Canada’s new consulting division, The House of Leaders (2002-2005) and pursued this last project in its transition to become Esse Leadership (2005-2009).
In 2009, François chose to pursue his passion for the development of leaders and groups by working under his own name, while continuing ongoing partnerships in Canada and internationally.
François has worked with several different type of clients in many industries to develop their leadership potential through workshops and seminars.
With a team of international co-editors, he published in 2014 a book of Mary P. Follett’s writings on leadership and democracy titled Mary Parker Follett: Ideas We Need Today. He will soon be publishing his own upcoming 20-year synthesis of leadership: The Yin and Yang of Leadership for Individuals and Groups. Both books are intended to be reader-friendly guides to leadership development for all.
François Héon, Organisational Consultant
President of François Héon, Organisational Development Consulting inc. (since 1996)
Passionate for the development of individuals and groups, most of François Héon’s work involves developing and conducting leadership development programs for managers, groups or supporting larger scale organizational change projects.
- Organisational Behavior Development inc, Belgium (since 1997): Collaborator with OBD since 1997 in developing and conducting leadership development programs for managers of various international companies. (for ex.: Randstad, Kema, Volvo Cars, Volvo Trucks, Bang and Olufsen, Tetra Pack, ING DIRECT).
- Desjardins Cooperative Institute (since 2012): Partner consultant and coach with Desjardins’ in-house leadership institute, which offers leadership development services to its 7,000 managers and administrators.
- JMSB (since 2013): Instructor in Leadership Development for executive clients of Concordia University’s John Molson School of Business.
- Grisvert (since 2011): Occasional collaborator with Grisvert Consulting when large groupe facilitations (100+) is involved. Grisvert is a young and dynamic organizational development consulting group specializing in facilitating large groupe reflexions/collaborative interventions.
- Esse Leadership (2005-2009) – Co-founder with Rémi Tremblay, former President of Adecco Canada: Partner in offering innovative leadership development services to leaders and management teams in various sectors (private, public, health care).
- Planetree (2007-2009): Consulting partner in creating the Planetree Quebec Network. The Quebec network is affiliated with Planetree international, a network of 150 health care organizations committed to the development of “patient-centered-care” organizations.
- Adecco Canada – The House of Leaders (2002-2005): As Executive Director, lead the development of a consulting division offering leadership development services to individual clients and teams in the provinces of Quebec and Ontario.
- Sylvie Pelletier Consultants, Montreal, Canada (2003): Offering crisis management support for employees affected by post-traumatic stress (e.g. robbery)
- Private practice as psychotherapist (1999-2002)
- Catholic Community Services, Montreal, Canada (1996-2000): Helped set-up and manage mental health resources for a high-risk clientele in the community.
- National Democratic Institute for International Affairs (NDI), Washington, DC/Burundi (1994-1996): Responsible for developing and managing the strengthening of democratic institutions program in Burundi, Africa, in the midst of two years of civil unrest. This involved coordinating efforts to support newly created political institutions and local civic organizations.
Publications and conferences
François Héon has also written different articles on leadership and offered numerous conferences and television appearances (Canal Vox Quebec) on leadership and wellness at work.
He is presently completing an international co-editorship of Mary P. Follett’ writings on leadership and democracy to be published in 2014 as well as his own upcoming 20 year synthesis of leadership: The Yin and Yang of Leadership : For Individuals and Groups. Both books are intended to be reader-friendly guides to leadership development for all.
- Member of the Quebec Order of Psychologist since 1991
- Executive board member and treasurer of the Québec Association of Industrial and Organisational Psychologists, 2002-2007
- Executive board member and OD Representative of the Québec Association of Industrial and Organisational Psychologists, 2010-...
Academic Background and Training
1999-2000 Group Psychotherapy Clinical Training, Allan Memorial Institute, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
1998-2000 Individual Psychotherapy Supervision with Jungian Psychoanalyst, Jan Bauer.
1991-1993 Ph.D. coursework in Organisational Behavior, Weatherhead School of Management, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio.
1988-1990 Masters' degree in Industrial/Organisational Psychology, University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
1985-1988 Bachelors' degree with honours in Psychology, Concordia University, Montreal, Canada